- Post Date:30th July 2018
- Apply Before: 28th August 2018
- Views 202
Hanson is one of the UK’s largest suppliers of construction materials, employing over 3,500 people and operating around 300 manufacturing plants. Part of the HeidelbergCement Group, the materials and products we make underpin our communities and are used in some of the country’s most innovative and iconic structures. Our aim is to be a leading sustainable business, trusted and respected for the ethics we adopt and the products we supply.
We are seeking an engineering geologist to join our team. Reporting to the principal engineering geologist, the role involves providing technical support for quarry planning and development, as well as for the safe design of excavations and tips.
- Provide advice and training on engineering geology and geotechnical services across Hanson UK’s extractive business.
- Assume professional and legal responsibility for the safe design and implementation of excavations, tips, lagoons and other geotechnical features.
- Act as the ‘Competent Person’ duty holder in respect of appraisals of excavations and tips, in accordance with Reg. 32 of the Quarries Regulations 1999.
- Ensure compliance with Part VI of the Quarries Regulations 1999 in respect of all excavations, tips, lagoons, stockpiles and similar features.
- Manage the procurement and performance of external consultants and contractors.
- The role will be based at Shepshed, with travel across England and Wales, including working outdoors on quarry sites.
Applicants must hold a first degree in engineering geology – or in a related subject – and a Masters in engineering geology. You will be also a member of a relevant professional institution and have, or be working towards, chartered status as well as the competency requirements of a geotechnical specialist.
A detailed understanding of soil and rock mechanics, proven success in commercial project management and knowledge of specialist engineering geology and quarry design software (LSS, SLOPE, DIPS etc.) is required. Experience in the minerals extraction industry is preferred.
Remuneration and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Pension with company contributions
- Ongoing training/development and opportunities to help further your career
- Employee discount scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Voluntary life assurance
Hanson UK is an equal opportunities employer.