Senior Petroleum Geoscientist
- Post Date:30th July 2018
- Views 314
- Offered Salary £30,000 +Salary £37,789 to £41,988 per annum (depending on qualifications and experience)
Senior Petroleum Geoscientist
UKRI – NERC – BGS
Lyell Centre, Edinburgh
£37,789 to £41,988 per annum (depending on qualifications and experience)
Full-Time – 37 hours a week
The Natural and Environmental Research Council is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The British Geological Survey (BGS) is an applied geoscience research centre that is housed in UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and affiliated to the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). It is a world leading geological survey that provides a core science mission to inform government of science related to the subsurface and its interfaces and also undertakes applied research for solutions to earth and environmental processes, both in the UK and globally. It is funded directly by UKRI as well as through research grants and via private sector contracts.
About the role
BGS is seeking to appoint a highly motivated and experienced individual to assume the role of Senior Petroleum Geoscientist at our offices in Edinburgh.
With proven experience of and a passion for petroleum geoscience, your work will include:
- contribute to and lead a range of commercial and research-orientated petroleum geological projects. This will include reviews of basin-scale hydrocarbon prospectively; regional play analysis; capacity building for geoscience in developing countries and detailed source rock studies
- provide technical expertise in petroleum geochemistry and have a detailed knowledge of hydrocarbon source generation, maturation and migration
- work closely with BGS geochemical laboratories and other organic geochemists in our Keyworth office to meet project requirements
- take a lead role in increasing the scientific research profile of the petroleum team through publications and high impact innovation activities
- engage and collaborate with other academic institutions and external stakeholders to develop a strong externally funded research programme.
You will also be expected to:
- publish scientific papers and present at conferences
- mentor junior staff and assist in their technical development
- communicate effectively with BGS corporate management to progress opportunities
- participate in continued professional and personal development.
You will join an established, dynamic team of researchers who work with UK and overseas governments, other national geoscience organisations, oil company consortia and Higher Education Institutes to deliver research, geological advice and services in support of exploration and development activity in the fields of sub-surface geology, basin analysis and hydrocarbon systems. You will contribute to established projects as well as develop the team’s research portfolio.
With a PhD in Petroleum Geoscience or a related subject, you will have extensive post PhD experience working in the field of sedimentary basin analysis, either as an academic researcher or in industry. In particular, you will have expertise in the application of petroleum geochemistry.
You will be an enthusiastic team player, able to lead and contribute to our commercial and research-driven portfolio of work by securing new funding and collaborations. As a senior member of the Petroleum Geoscience Team, you will be driving our understanding of petroleum geology in a wide variety of basins both in the UK Continental Shelf and worldwide. You will also mentor colleagues and assist in their development and career progression.
What we offer
A generous benefits package is also offered, including a very competitive pension scheme, childcare salary sacrifice scheme, 30 days annual leave plus bank holidays. Please note that any internal BGS staff applying for this post would, if successful, be appointed to new UKRI Terms and Conditions.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role, this should outlines why you are applying for this post and how you meet the criteria described in this advertisement. Please note that applications submitted without a covering letter, or which fail to address these points, may not be considered further.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please got to http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc245875_8429.aspx Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 10 August 2018.